Friday, September 12, 2008

Sometimes ungreat events lead to great results

It has been a long time since I have actually been able to update, and you can probably thank the cold weather for that right now. I have a nerve disease that leads to my circulation being very bad when it is not about 85 degrees outside. Couple that with the dampness, and I'm pretty much stunk inside, outside of my barn chores. I can not even ride a horse even. I went out this morning, in a hat, gloves, long socks, jeans and coat. It's really quite funny, I would enjoy laughing at myself over it, except I remember the fact that four years ago I loved the winter and cold weather.

Although this isn't really a post about my health, I thought I might mention it a bit. One of my greatest reasons for breeding my bunnies for fantastic personalities, is because of my physical condition. I was in a life threatening accident three and a half years ago. I was in a trauma unit for weeks. I results in cracking my skull, braking five vertibrae and many many other issues (a bonus also being I severed all the nerves in my left ear, not only can I not hear out of it, I have constant ringing..like when you go to a concert your ears hurt and ring..mine doesn't go away though). My basic point is that a lot can happen to someone. I had a very long recovery and my doctors tell me I won't know the extremes of my injuries for another five to six years yet.

While I was recovering (I could not walk or move much for several months), it about the time I realized how much I needed to cuddle and love my bunnies. And although at the time, I already had been breeding for good temperaments, this is when I started to really want and have a goal towards producing super house bunnies. The bunnies were a huge part of my recovery. I always had a bunny with me on my bed. They slept and cuddled with me. It was fantastic!

When I was in highschool I would take naps after school on my bed and my lovely little ruby eyed white Holland doe, named Kissakei, would sleep next to me. I wanted to return to that. I had gotten so hyped about six years ago about breeding for color and show type that I lost a better goal of breeding for a loving animal as well.

I always kept a good eye on personality in my bunnies and refused to breed overly hyper or territorial bunnies but I've since just been fine tuning things even more. And I'm so very happy to have gotten as far as I have. In fact, it is a huge part of why I have such trouble letting my babies go. ^___^

I think it is fantastic, but there are some downsides. I've relapsed and been in the hospital several times since my accident and my bunnies, although cared for and all at home, do not get much attention when I'm not here or able to be with them. I've since been a-okay for over a year now, but it is a little scary knowing my brain might just pull a fast one on me. I also have to me careful to not hit my head, since even small bumps can cause issues. In fact if I hit it hard enough I may not wake up the next time...which may be a problem. hehe.

I just wanted to write a little bit about me, so whomever reading this can understand why I've become so worried with personality and why in the past on my own blog I really posted about how upset I was about people just breeding for the sake of breeding and not having good goals for the breed. These little bunnies helped me to heal and stay sane, to which I really owe them so much more and I really want other people to feel how important and how loved these little bunnies should be.

Personality is just one part of course, I still am breeding strongly for beautiful show quality animals, with lots of cuteness of course too! You will see however, that I am not what many people call a "color" breeder. Color happens here mostly by default, if at all. Bunny color genetics are easy (I'm happy to answer any questions one may have). I've probably had every colored Holland lop in the last 15 years and I'm just not interested in color, since I do not believe the color makes the bunny. The mind and type do. :)